SEARCH 
Author Biographies Purchase the Book Comments
 
MONUMENTS

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

 Caldwell Woods - named in honor of Billy Caldwell, Potawatomi chief, son of an Indian mother and a British Army captain, remembered for his valuable services in assisting treaty negotiations between Indian tribes and the U.S. government. The woods are in the North Branch Division of the Cook County Forest Preserve District, bounded by Caldwell Avenue, Devon Avenue, Milwaukee Avenue, and Harms Road.

 Catherine Chevalier Woods - see Robinson Woods.

 Catholic Church - 1937 · bronze plaque commemorating the first permanent meeting place on the southwest corner of State and Lake streets, inscribed: "Chicago`s First Catholic Church - On this site, Old St. Mary`s, Chicago`s first Catholic Church, was erected in 1833 and dedicated in October of that year. Father John Mary Irenaeus St. Cyr was the first pastor. - Erected by Chicago`s Charter Jubilee - Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society - 1937." [This bronze plaque could no longer be located by the editors as of 1998.]

 Cemeteries - 1937 · bronze plaque at 23rd Street viaduct over Illinois Central Railroad, inscribed: "First City Cemeteries - This was the site of one of Chicago`s first two cemeteries, and comprised sixteen acres. It was laid out in August, 1835, and enclosed in September, after which burials elsewhere on the south side were forbidden. - Erected by Chicago`s Charter Jubilee - Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society - 1937." An identical plaque was proposed to designate the northern cemetery of 10 acres on Chicago Avenue, east of Clark Street, but was never placed.

 Chappel, Eliza - 1888 · one of Chicago`s earliest schoolteachers (1833), died in 1888; her grave is in Rosehill Cemetery. Also see entry under Schoolhouse.

 Che-che-pin-qua Woods - see Robinson Woods.

 Chicago Historical Society Building - Clark Street at North Avenue. Anyone wishing to immerse oneself in a wealth of items relevant to Chicago`s early history must visit this, Chicago`s oldest cultural institution. Though only a fraction of the society`s material is on permanent display, research centers, collections, and special exhibitions provide access to many elusive details.

 Chicago Portage National Historic Site (A) - 1952 · Portage Park at 48th Street and Harlem Avenue contains remnants of the portage waterway (Portage Creek) and its associated trails. Near the park entrance is a concrete basin with the text: "Chicago Portage - The Waterway West - Along these waterways and trails history has passed. The Chicago Portage has served as the connecting link between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River System. - In 1673 led by American Indians explorers Marquette and Jolliet became the first Europeans to cross the portage. This route encouraged the development of the I & M Canal and the growth of Chicago." A monumental iron sculpture of Father Marquette, Louis Jolliet, and an Indian brave was erected within the basin in 1989. Sculptor: Guido Rebechini [See picture in next entry]. A short walk into the park leads to the edge of Portage Creek and a granite boulder [1930] that once held a bronze plaque commemorating the historic portage in 1673, inscribed: "The Chicago Portage 1673-1836 - This marks the west end of the carrying or connecting place, uniting the waters of the St. Lawrence River and the Great Lakes with those of the Mississippi River, its tributaries and the Gulf of Mexico, the earliest factor in determining Chicago`s commercial supremacy. An artery of travel used by the aborigines in their migrations and later by Joliet, Marquette, La Salle, Tonti and the fur traders of New France. An early strategical point in the wars incident to winning the North-West for the settlers. Discovered by Joliet and Marquette in 1673. - Erected by the Chicago Historical Society in pursuance of a plan to give posterity the facts of Chicago`s early history. A.D. 1930." [This bronze plaque could no longer be located by the editors as of 1998; photograph {441a} located by Alan Gornik.]

 Chicago Portage National Historic Site (B) - see information in previous entry; photograph provided by Alan Gornik, 2006.

 Chicago Portage National Historic Site (C) - 2010 · This historical marker has been prepared by the Illinois State Historical Society and was unveiled on May 25, 2010. Courtesy of Philip Vierling.

 Chicago River - 1953 · bronze plaque on the southwest pylon of the Michigan Avenue bridge, inscribed: "Chicago River - This river, originally flowing eastward from the prairie homelands of the Potawatomi and other Indian tribes, into Lake Michigan, linked the waters of the Atlantic, the St. Lawrence and the Great Lakes with those of the Illinois, the Mississippi and the Gulf of Mexico. From 1673, commerce and civilization followed this natural waterway from the seaboard to the heart of the continent. The strategic importance to early American development of the junction of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan led to the establishment here of Fort Dearborn and to the founding of the city of Chicago. - Erected in 1953 to the memory of those pioneers who plied the water route. - Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Illinois." Photograph taken by Alan Gornik, 2008.

 Chippewa Woods - honoring the Chippewa [Ojibwa] Indian tribe by attaching its name to the northernmost portion of the Indian Boundary Division of the Cook County Forest Preserve District. The woods are surrounded by Touhy and Devon avenues, Dee and Des Plaines River roads.

 Churchill, Deacon Winslow - bronze plaque on a granite boulder in memory of Deacon Winslow Churchill, located at the NW corner of Swift and St. Charles roads in Glen Ellyn, IL, near the appropriately named Churchill Woods. Photograph provided by Alan Gornik, 2006.

 Clarke House Museum - 1836 · also called the Henry Brown Clarke House, or the Widow Clarke House, the oldest building in Chicago, built by Henry Brown Clarke at (now) 16th Street and Michigan Avenue, later moved to 45th Street and Wabash Avenue, and again placed near its original site at 1855 S. Indiana Avenue (now at number 1827), in the Prairie Avenue Historic District bordered by Indiana Avenue, 18th Street, Prairie Avenue and Cullerton Street. Clarke arrived in Chicago in 1835 from Utica, NY, and soon prospered as a merchant and land speculator. His stately Greek revival style house survived the fire of 1871 and is now a historical monument. When built, the residence was at the eastern edge of a seemingly limitless prairie, and the nearest house was about 1 1/2 miles north. At the entrance to the historic district, on 18th Street, is mounted a panel that gives further information about Clarke and his house. The house now belongs to the city of Chicago and can be toured at certain hours; call (312) 326-1480 or go to www.clarkehousemuseum.org. The illustration shown here presents the house before it was first moved and reconstructed.

 Clarke, Henry Brown - came to Chicago in 1835; successful merchant, land speculator, and Illinois State Bank director; died of cholera in 1849. At this grave site in Graceland Cemetery he, his wife Caroline, and 13 additional members of his family are interred. See Clarke, Henry Brown in the Encyclopedia section for additional detail.

 Clybourne, Archibald - 1872 · this early citizen (1823) and butcher became Chicago`s first stockyard owner, died in 1872; his grave is in Rosehill Cemetery.

 Cobweb Castle - 1937 · bronze plaque at 357 N. State Street, inscribed: "Cobweb Castle - Near this site on Wolcott (now State) stood Agency House, known as Cobweb Castle. It was the home of Dr. Alexander Wolcott, Government Indian Agent at Chicago (1820-1830). - Erected by Chicago`s Charter Jubilee - Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society - 1937." The house acquired its name during the time Wolcott lived there as a bachelor, before his marriage to Ellen Marion Kinzie in 1823. [This bronze plaque could no longer be located by the editors as of 1998.]

 Columbus - 1933 · monumental bronze statue of Christopher Columbus, located in Grant Park at Columbus Drive and Roosevelt Road; created for the 1933 Century of Progress Exposition as a gift from the Italian-American community of Chicago. Sculptor: Carl Brioschi. Photograph by Alan Gornik, 2008.

 Columbus - 1891 · monumental bronze statue of Christopher Columbus; exhibited in the Italian pavilion of the 1893 World Columbian Exposition; rededicated in 1966 at the center of a granite fountain, Columbus Plaza within Victor Arrigo Park at 800 S. Polk and 1400 W. Loomis streets. Sculptor: Moses Ezekiel. Photograph by Alan Gornik, 2008.

 Columbus with Indian - 1924 · concrete sculpture at 9400 W. Foster Avenue, on the northwest corner of River Road in Schiller Park; in elegant garb Christopher Columbus bends to acknowledge a supplicant Indian. No text was inscribed. The Indian`s submissive posture offended minority sentiments, and the sculpture has disappeared in recent years. Sculptor: Virgil Rainer.

 Cook, Daniel Pope - 1968 · brass plaque on the south side of the lobby of the Cook County Building at 118 N. Clark Street, inscribed "Daniel Pope Cook · 1794-1827 · Cook County Illinois, was named in honor of this great American patriot and Illinois citizen · Presented by Independence Hall of Chicago Illinois Sesquicentennial 1818-1968."

 Couch - Hidden Truths - this plaque, standing in Lincoln Park near the Couch Monument, provides additional information about the Couch family and their tomb. Also see the following entries "Couch Monument" and "Couch Tomb" and the entries "Couch, Ira" and "Couch, James" in the Encyclopedia section. [Photograph by Alan Gornik, 2010]

 Couch Monument - 1858 · located in Lincoln Park. The brothers Ira and James Couch [see Encyclopedia section] came to Chicago in 1835 or 1836; they soon became owners of the Tremont Hotel, and were said to have become Chicago`s first millionaires. Ira died in 1857 while vacationing in Cuba. James placed his brother`s remains in a family mausoleum, shown here, designed by John M. Van Osdel, Chicago’s first professional architect, and constructed during the following year in an early Chicago cemetery which is now part of Lincoln Park. This monument still stands, while all other grave markers have been transferred to other cemeteries. For more detail, see the additional Couch entries. [Photograph by Alan Gornik, 2010]

 Couch Tomb - a poster by this name, eroded on its left side with loss of some of its text, is located near the Couch Monument in Lincoln Park. The inscription reads as follows: “In 1857 the Couch brothers, owners of Chicago’s Tremont Hotel, built this mausoleum in what was then a public cemetery on the shore of Lake Michigan. Designed by John M. Van Osdel, Chicago’s first professional architect, ...cally inspired structure is composed of limestone block masonry. The remains of the Couch family members and one family friend are in the tomb. ... 1850s, less than 20 years after the ...n of the City Cemetery, citizens became ...d that cholera, smallpox and other ... were spreading because of the sandy site’s poor burial conditions. In response to citizen requests, the city reserved a 60-acre unused section of the cemetery as Lake Park. In 1865, shortly after the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln, the city renamed the site Lincoln Park, and allocated $10,000 for improvements. Northsiders continued lobbying for the removal and conversion of the remaining cemetery to parkland. Finally, in 1869, the State approved new legislation requiring that bodies be exhumed and moved to other cemeteries. Although all of the headstones and other mausoleums were removed, the Couch Tomb remained in Lincoln Park. It has long been believed that the Couch family fought the removal of their tomb in the courts; however, it is unclear whether a suit was ever filed. Sometime during Lincoln Park’s early history the ornamental iron fence, which originally surrounded the Couch Tomb, was removed. In 1999 a generous gift of the Elizabeth Morse Charitable Trust funded the reconstruction and installation of the fence." [Photograph by Alan Gornik, 2010]

 Cow Path - 1937 · bronze plaque over entrance, 100 W. Monroe Street, inscribed: "Historic Cow Path - This areaway, 10x177x18 feet, is reserved forever as a cow path by terms of the deed of Willard Jones in 1844, when he sold portions of the surrounding property. - Erected by Chicago`s Charter Jubilee - Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society - 1937." Willard Jones came to Chicago in 1833. [This bronze plaque could no longer be located by the editors as of 1998.]

 

  Copyright 2017 Early Chicago, Inc.    Copyright Information    Designed by Duffy Design Works, Inc.