SEARCH 
Author Biographies Purchase the Book Comments
 
MONUMENTS

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

 Old Treaty Elm - 1937 bronze plaque at the intersection of Rogers, Kilbourn, and Caldwell avenues, inscribed: "Old Treaty Elm - This tree which stood here until 1933, marked the northern boundary of the Fort Dearborn Reservation, the trail to Lake Geneva, the center of Billy Caldwell`s (Chief Sauganash) reservation, and the site of the Indian Treaty of 1835. - Erected by Chicago`s Charter Jubilee - Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society - 1937."

 Old Vincennes Road - 1937 bronze plaque placed on the northwest corner of 95th Street and Vincennes Avenue, inscribed: "Old Vincennes Road - This historic trail into Chicago from the South, now Vincennes Avenue, was originally used by the Indians to unite all villages of the Potawatomi nation. It later became the thorough from Ohio and Wabash River settlements. - Erected by Chicago`s Charter Jubilee - Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society - 1937." [This bronze plaque could no longer be located by the editors as of 1998.]

 Ottawa Trail Woods - commemorating the old Indian trail; the woods are part of the Salt Creek Division of the Cook County Forest Preserve District. The trail connected Chicago with the Illinois River valley, bisecting the woods and crossing the Des Plaines River at Laughtons` Ford in Lyons.

 Ouilmette, Antoine - 1954 bronze plaque in the village of Wilmette, IL, at the SE corner of Lake and Michigan avenues, perpetuating the name of this early resident and his large family; located at the SE corner of Lake & Michigan avenues; a short street at 2200 W Lake Avenue is named Ouilmette Lane. [Found and photographed by Alan Gornik, 2006].

 

  Copyright 2017 Early Chicago, Inc.    Copyright Information    Designed by Duffy Design Works, Inc.