SEARCH 
Author Biographies Purchase the Book Comments
 
MONUMENTS

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

 Wabansa Stone - 1816 · also Waubansee; a glacial granite boulder, about eight feet in height, with a face carved into one of its upper surfaces, reported to be that of the Potawatomi chief Waubansee. The stone was hollowed out on top and is believed to have been used earlier by the Indians to mill corn; later the stone was hauled within the stockade of the second fort, and a talented soldier chiseled the face; existent in the Chicago History Museum.

 Webber Resource Center - within the Field Museum of Natural History, Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Drive; established in 1987, the center has become a vital learning source for the history and present concerns of the native cultures of North, Central, and South America. Through a variety of books, maps, videotapes, tribal newspapers, reservation newsletters, and related hands-on items—amid the museum`s invaluable collection of artifacts—one can experience or access important materials and information. Members of the center`s staff are interactive with those of the D`Arcy McNickle Center, NAES College, and the Mitchell Musem; call (312) 922-9410, ext. 497.

 Wentworth Obelisk - 1888 · "Long" John Wentworth came to Chicago in 1836 and later served as the city`s mayor; during his lifetime he collected and published a great deal of invaluable historical information related to Chicago. His grave is in Rosehill Cemetery, marked by a 72-foot-tall obelisk, the tallest of any in Chicago private cemeteries, uninscribed and designed by himself, and built reportedly at a cost of $38,000. [280c]

 Wentworth Woods - to commemorate former Chicago mayor John Wentworth; located in the Thorn Creek Division of the Cook County Forest Preserve District bounded by Wentworth Avenue, State Line Road, Schrum Road, and Michigan City Road.

 Williams, Eli B. - Williams, who moved to Chicago from Connecticut in 1833, died in 1881. This monument in Graceland Cemetery marks his burial place, shared with several family members; it features a woman holding a cross, and is almost completely covered by ivy during the summer and autumn. [280c]

 Wilmette Historical Museum - dedicated to the memory of [see] Antoine Ouilmette and his family and to the history of the northern suburbs of Chicago; located at 609 Ridge Road in Wilmette; call (847) 853-7666.

 Wolf Point - 1937 · bronze plaque on the southeast corner of Lake and Market [Wacker] streets, inscribed: "In early days this elbow of land, formed by the junction of North and South branches of Chicago River, was the site of three taverns, Wolf Tavern, `Miller`s,` and the Sauganash." [This bronze plaque could no longer be located by the editors as of 1998.]

 Wolf Point - The Chicago River near Wolf Point, 1833. This juncton of the north and south branches of the Chicago River was a favored subject for early Chicago artists, here memorialized again on one of 16 historical paintings by Lawrence C. Earle, originally located in the banking room of the Central Trust Company of Illinois, 152 Monroe Street, Chicago; now stored within the Collection Services Department at the Chicago History Museum. In contrast to all other illustrations known to the editors, here the view is eastward, not to the north. The building in the foreground is Wolf Point Tavern, with Miller`s Tavern across the river. [280a]

 Woodworth, James Hutchinson - 1972 · the James Woodworth Prairie; located in Glenview at Milwaukee Avenue and Golf Road is five acres of virgin prairie land, an ancient site managed by the University of Illinois. An interpretive center was constructed there with funds donated by the family of a great grandson of James, John W. Leslie, a Glenview business man for many years.

 Wright, James S. - 1874 · limestone mausoleum at Rosehill Cemetery, probably designed by the architect James Egan. Wright first came to Chicago in 1832, at age 15, with his father John W. Wright, while other family members followed later. A bold and successful real estate speculator during the land boom, merchant and manufacturer in later years, Wright left his imprint on the town. A wooded section north of the river was owned by him and was formerly called Wright`s Grove or Wrightwood.

 

  Copyright 2017 Early Chicago, Inc.    Copyright Information    Designed by Duffy Design Works, Inc.